Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Commercials and my Soul

The going price for a thirty second Super Bowl commercial this year was $3,000,000.00.   I wonder how many of those commercials could be argued as edifying to Christians?  After last years sexual Go Daddy commercials, I decided to abstain from this years ads altogether.  This was done by changing the channel during each break.  Thankfully, Toy Story 2 was on ABC Family and better yet, ESPN was showing a 30-for-30 episode on the Red Sox 2004 ALCS victory over the Evil Empire (Yankees).  I must admit I was slightly more interested in the 30-for-30 than the Super Bowl.  I've noticed that most items being sold or pushed in commercials are wants, and not needs.  Below is a Chase commercial with Queen's "I want it All" in the background.  A very telling commercial about our culture.





Not watching the Super Bowl ads, got me thinking about commercials in general.  Are they beneficial for me to watch and put into my mind?  TV itself is a different story, my wife's blog communicates our thoughts on TV usage Using the "D" word: Turning off the Tube.  But, commercials, I would say are not great, good, or even profitable as a whole.   Our home should be a place of where I can find rest from the world.  Why would I willingly allow my mind to battle the wars that commercials can instigate?  It is with that resolve, when we do watch TV,  commercials will not be included, in the hopes of protecting our hearts and minds from their often negative influence.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed. Kim and I decided to not watch commercials a few months ago. We either change the channel or turn the TV off. I have to admit we are bad at this a lot of the time though. It takes a lot of discipline to remember to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's what DVR is for

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustin, you know your dad, if he has the remote - don't waste good TV time on commercials - click, click, click. LOL! Love your thoughts and love your selection of commercial to prove your point.

    ReplyDelete